Varial Hosting CEO Ryan Smith will be a guest speaker at #psewebUSASK as part of the conference’s social media panel.
#psewebUSASK is free, half-day conference for Canadian college and university marketers taking place at the University of Saskatchewan on Thursday, June 22nd.
Ryan will be joined by Kirsty Hack (Creative Fire) and Brianna Bergeron (Saskatchewan Polytechnic) to discuss trends in social media marketing, promotion and community engagement from their professional experience.
Free tickets to #psewebUSASK are available at:
LiteSpeed Cache, the caching plugin allowing Varial Hosting customers to achieve lightning fast Wordpress performance has just been updated to version 1.1.0. This new version includes bug fixes and several new features.
Customers can update this plugin through their WordPress admins or install it by following this guide: https://varialhosting.com/support/faq/wordpress/#caching
- [NEW] Added a crawler – this includes configuration options and a dedicated admin page. Uses wp-cron
- [NEW] Added integration for WPLister
- [NEW] Added integration for Avada
- [UPDATE] General structure of the plugin revamped
- [UPDATE] Improved look of admin pages
- [BUGFIX] Fix any/all wp-content path retrieval issues
- [BUGFIX] Use realpath to clear symbolic link when determining .htaccess paths
- [BUGFIX] Fixed a bug where upgrading multiple plugins did not trigger a purge all
- [BUGFIX] Fixed a bug where cli import_options did not actually update the options
- [REFACTOR] Most of the files in the code were split into more, smaller files
Today we celebrate our 14th year in business with a gift to all of our customers.
One feature we’ve been frequently asked about this year has been HTTPS / SSL support for customer websites. While this has always been possible through the purchase of a traditional SSL certificate, which would typically set you back a hundred dollars and require a manual installation, we’re about to make enabling HTTPS a lot easier.
Today we are launching a fully automated system to install and renew free SSL certificates to all domains hosted on our servers.
If you are not familiar, a SSL certificate is what is required to enable HTTPS on your website, the protocol which makes all communication between your browser and your website encrypted. If you see the https:// in the address bar of your browser and a lock icon next to it, you are browsing a secure, encrypted website.
While SSL certificates had mainly been used by eCommere websites, the Internet is moving towards an encrypted web for better security and Google even ranks websites using HTTPS higher in their search results.
We’ve been quietly beta testing this feature for over a year so SSL certificates have already been issued for all eligible domains hosted with us.
If you’d like to make the switch to HTTPS we recommend reading our SSL Certificate FAQ for more information on how they function, potential issues to watch out for and guidelines on how to make your website code compatible with HTTPS / SSL.